Monday, June 16, 2008

The passing of Tim Russert

I was not around when "Meet the Press" first aired 61 years ago I am not as familiar with the previous hosts as some of my older friends. However, when I was starting to pay attention to politics I would see Tim Russert every Sunday morning. He was, in my opinion, a class act. I remember the interview with David Duke, the reputed leader of the Klu Klux Klan in Louisiana, and how Tim Russert put him on the spot. That was a great interview because he cut through all of the stuff and got to the meat of the matter. I think he asked the question every one, except maybe the Klan, want to ask and that to me was the Tim Russert I saw every Sunday after that. He asked hard yet fair questions of those he interviewed and gave them time to answer the questions. His ability of looking at the political landscape was remarkable. I sometimes felt he must have been reading my mind when he asked questions.
With his passing I feel there is a void because I feel I lost the person that asked my questions. I, like many of his peers, feel somewhat cheated that he will not be here to see this generations Kennedy/Nixon election. I will miss his insightful musings of the election and his ability to keep me tuned in to the process. While I might not need the latter I did need the former.
I, along with the rest of the country, send my most heartfelt condolences to his family. I was especially impressed with the way his son, Luke, came out on the Today show and showed such poise. Luke is an oak to steal a line from Tombstone. Tim Russert and his wife have raised a remarkable son which I only hope to copy. Regardless of the accolades bestowed on Tim Russert for his work, I seem to think he must be the most proud of the son he helped raise. I know if I were him and either of my boys had shown such poise I would be proud. God speed Tim Russert and may you rest in peace. We will miss you.

No comments: